Comcast swapped out my cable box to resolve an intermittent problem that has been occurring the past few weeks. They gave us a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta box. The universal remote that came with the cable box was platinum colored. The universal remotes that came with the old box were silver colored.
I wanted the old remote to work with the new box so I have a fair chance of finding a remote in the house when I wanted to watch the TV. It was easy to find instructions to program the remote to work with the TV and Stereo. It was a bit more difficult to find out how to change the cable box. The key was to unlock the remote. After the remote was unlocked it was just a matter of finding the right 5-digit code.
I also wanted to change the default mode for volume control. The remote uses the TV for the default volume control. To change it I had to first perform a global volume unlock and then lock the default volume control to the right device. In this case I wanted my stereo that was programmed under the Aux button to control the volume.
I’ve documented the steps and codes below to hopefully help someone else with a similar issue as well as document the steps for my future use.
To unlock / lock the remote:
- Press cable button
- Hold the Setup button until the cable button blinks twice
- Press 982
- The cable button will blink 4 times if unlocked.
- The cable button will blink 2 times if the remote locked.
To Program the Silver Remote to work with Cisco RNG cable Box:
- After unlocking the remote
- Press the cable button
- Hold the setup button until it blinks twice
- Enter a 5 digit code
- cable button will blink twice if the code is valid
- cable button will blink one long blink if the code is not valid
- Press the power button to test the code entered
Codes for the Silver Remote & Cisco RNG Cable Box:
- 01982 <- This one worked for me
Global Volume Unlock
- Hold Setup until the mode light blinks twice
- Press 993
- Press Vol+
- The mode light will blink 4 times confirming unlock
Restoring Global Volume Lock
- Press the mode that you want the global volume lock enabled on
- Hold the setup button until the mode light blinks twice
- Press 993
- Press the mode key
- The mode key will blink twice confirming global lock enabled