Comcast swapped out my cable box to resolve an intermittent problem that has been occurring the past few weeks. They gave us a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta box. The universal remote that came with the cable box was platinum colored. The universal remotes that came with the old box were silver colored.
I wanted the old remote to work with the new box so I have a fair chance of finding a remote in the house when I wanted to watch the TV. It was easy to find instructions to program the remote to work with the TV and Stereo. It was a bit more difficult to find out how to change the cable box. The key was to unlock the remote. After the remote was unlocked it was just a matter of finding the right 5-digit code.
I also wanted to change the default mode for volume control. The remote uses the TV for the default volume control. To change it I had to first perform a global volume unlock and then lock the default volume control to the right device. In this case I wanted my stereo that was programmed under the Aux button to control the volume.
I’ve documented the steps and codes below to hopefully help someone else with a similar issue as well as document the steps for my future use.
To unlock / lock the remote:
- Press cable button
- Hold the Setup button until the cable button blinks twice
- Press 982
- The cable button will blink 4 times if unlocked.
- The cable button will blink 2 times if the remote locked.
To Program the Silver Remote to work with Cisco RNG cable Box:
- After unlocking the remote
- Press the cable button
- Hold the setup button until it blinks twice
- Enter a 5 digit code
- cable button will blink twice if the code is valid
- cable button will blink one long blink if the code is not valid
- Press the power button to test the code entered
Codes for the Silver Remote & Cisco RNG Cable Box:
- 01982 <- This one worked for me
Global Volume Unlock
- Hold Setup until the mode light blinks twice
- Press 993
- Press Vol+
- The mode light will blink 4 times confirming unlock
Restoring Global Volume Lock
- Press the mode that you want the global volume lock enabled on
- Hold the setup button until the mode light blinks twice
- Press 993
- Press the mode key
- The mode key will blink twice confirming global lock enabled
6 replies on “Reprogramming the Comcast Remote”
Thanks a Million! Solved a problem for me,been working on it for a week!!!! JIM
Non of the codes worked for me….sad face
RNG150N + RC1475510 (Silver and Red Button) programmed thanks to your awesome guide!
01982 worked for me.
Thank you!! I just reprogrammed all of my old remotes to work with the new Cisco RNG150N box that Comcast forced me to take in place of my Scientific Atlanta box. Works like a charm.
Wow !! I don’t know how old this page is but, it just helped me do all that was described above. AND the beauty to that is that the Comcast tech could NOT help…had no clue!! Thanks, so much.
Man am I glad I found this page , tried everything and nothing worked , come across this page and BOOOOOOM , I Got Everything Working Again , Thank You