Saturday it was beautiful here on the Jersey Shore. The temp was in the 70’s with blue sky. I decided to work on the one Jetski. I still have the engine apart because of the cracked water jacket. I have two new water jackets with the exhaust manifold all ready to go on. Cylinders are all honed. I cut the rave exhaust valves to clear the pistons. Everything was all set.
As I was setting the water jackets on the lower half of the engine, I let one piston slip and hit the exhaust baffle. Boop went a piece of the ring on the one piston. Damn. Now I’m waiting until March 20th when the new rings should arrive. After the incident I decided to replace all the rings in the engine.
After I messed up the piston ring, I decided to replace the VTS motor. This is a small electric motor that raises and lowers the angle of the jet pump. The old motor had died and the case was corroded. It was easy to replace. Now I have to wait to finish getting the engine back together before I can test the VTS motor.
I fully expect to have both machines back into the water before this month is over. I’m just very frustrated with myself for being a damn klutz.